When it comes to Whole Food salads where we live Watermelon Feta Salad with Lime-Cilantro Vinaigrette is a winner every time. This time of year there are pickup trucks full of watermelons every few blocks, we have both a lime tree and cilantro in our yard. Even if you don’t have a lime tree, they are very inexpensive at your local Mexican grocery store. Talk about the perfect hot weather combination! Watermelon and feta cheese make such a perfect pair. The saltiness of the feta is the perfect complement for the inherent sweetness of watermelon. When paired with the peppery taste of fresh arugula and the tangy goodness of a homemade lime-cilantro vinaigrette, you’ve got an incredible taste sensation that is sure to become a summer favorite.Our daily lunch time temperatures right now are in the mid-80’s but that won’t last much longer. In a couple more weeks we will be hitting the low to mid 90’s for about three months. Chilled soups and salads are nice and light and make for a perfect mid-day meal.
- The Salad
- 1 small round seedless watermelon, cut in half with flesh removed
- 3 oz. feta cheese, cut into evenly sized pieces
- 3 cups fresh arugula, cleaned and dried
- 3 oz fresh walnut halves (optional)
- Lime-Cilantro Vinaigrette Ingredients:
- 2 T. fresh lime juice
- 3 T. fresh cilantro, washed, dried and chopped into small pieces
- 3 T. grapeseed or coconut oil
- 1 t. Dijon mustard
- 1 T honey
- 2 t. ground cumin
- 2 t. sea salt
- ½ t. fresh ground pepper
- If possible, make the lime-cilantro vinaigrette in advance to give the flavors a chance to meld. Combine all ingredients in a small glass bowl and whisk to combine thoroughly. Taste and adjust seasonings as desired.
- Cut small watermelon in half, then remove and reserve flesh in a glass bowl. Pat the inside of each empty watermelon rind with a paper towel to dry. Set aside to use as serving bowls for the finished salad.
- Add feta and washed arugula to glass bowl along with the watermelon. Top with vinaigrette and toss to combine. Season with salt and pepper, to taste.
- To serve, add watermelon feta mixture to reserved watermelon rinds and garnish with sprigs of fresh cilantro, and walnut halves if using.
If you are serving more than 2 people, substitute other serving bowls or use additional small, round watermelons.
Serving Fresh Whole Foods can bring a new way of looking at the foods that are all around us. These are much healthier than prepackaged salads found in coolers of large grocery stores and only take minutes to put together…I hope you try this summer treat…
Please take a moment to rate this recipe and leave a comment. If you include a request a long forgotten Whole Foods recipe we will try to find it and add it to this website. Sign on at the top of the page or like my Facebook page https://www.facebook.com/ChefWilliamOnline and you will receive the new recipes as we post them plus you will be helping us reach our goal of 500 likes on that page.And we thank you for it…….