For the first recipe of the Whole Foods Weight Loss challenge we are going to start with a Hearty Lentil Soup. This is a soup that can be enjoyed all year, Up north when it is freezing cold soup is almost a must have. We here in Mexico will also enjoy a soup starter course with our meals even when it is in the low 80’s as it is now. Lentil Soup is one of our favorites that we serve often.
- 2 cups brown lentils, picked through, rinsed.
- 10 cups water or a hearty home made broth such as chicken or vegetable.
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 5 or 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 large white onion, diced fine
- 2 medium white potatoes, peeled and diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced fine
- 2 medium carrots, scrubbed and diced
- 2 Large tomatoes, peeled, seeded and diced
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh basil or 1 tablespoon dried basil
- Sea Salt and Freshly ground white pepper to taste
- ½ cup freshly chopped cilantro or parsley
- Put the lentils into a large soup pot and add the broth or water.Bring to a boil and then reduce to a simmer and cook for 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile. heat the oil in a large skillet and sauté the onion, garlic, potato, celery and carrots for about 5 minutes over medium heat. Add the tomatoes and continue to sauté for another 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the vegetable mixture to the lentils and continue to cook for an additional 25 to 30 minutes or until the lentils are cooked but not soft and mushy.
- For a creamy soup, remove about two cups of the soup and blend in a blender or food processor and then return the purée to the soup.
- Just before serving add the freshly chopped cilantro or parsley.
Serve with a nice tossed salad for a healthy Whole Foods Lunch or lite Dinner. Eating healthy Whole Food based meals is that easy.
Note, in cold weather, make extra and freeze for serving later, perhaps on a day that you have less time to spend in the kitchen.